Simple Smoothie Bowl Recipe
I'm starting to try and eat a bit healthier and I've been increasingly seeing images of delicious looking smoothie bowls creeping up across my Instagram feed. One of my worst habits is not having any breakfast so I thought I'd try and dip my toe into smoothie bowl land.
For those of you that don't know, a smoothie bowl is basically just a thicker smoothie that you eat with a spoon from a bowl rather than drink from a glass. They can also be quite elaborately decorated to ensure their Instagrammable status. This particular one I kept quite simple as it was a first attempt, but as you really do eat with your eyes first I quite enjoyed decorating my bowl.
- 2 Medium Bananas
- ½ Cup Frozen Blueberries
- ½ Cup Frozen Raspberries
- 1 tbsp Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Chia Seeds
- Desiccated Coconut
- Add 1 Banana and the Blueberries & Raspberries to your blender (I used a Nutribullet) and quickly blend.
- You want to make sure not to over-blend the mixture as a smoothie bowl is best when it has the consistency of a soft-serve.
- If it seems to be getting stuck I'd suggest tipping the container upside down and shaking it a few times.
- Before it's all completely blended but most of the hard work is done add the Unsweetened Almond Milk which should loosen it up.
- Tip the mixture into a bowl and decorate with your remaining banana and a sprinkling of Chia Seeds and some Desiccated Coconut.
Next time I hope to include more vegetables rather than just fruit, but this is a delicious introduction to the smoothie bowl world. I'd love to know if you try this for yourself or have any smoothie bowl tips of your very own so let me know in the comments! I took my inspiration for this recipe from The Minimalist Baker as I felt I needed to start with a good base but hope to try more stuff of my own in the future.